We grew up eating this dish, but we called it:
Poached Eggs on Tomato Chutney:
2 medium tomatoes (liquidized),
1 tablespoon tomato sauce,
1 small onion ( finely sliced),
1 taj (cinnamon stick),
½ teaspoon chilli powder,
¼ teaspoon turmeric,
¼ teaspoon ground garlic,
½ teaspoon salt,
1 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder,
Fresh ground black pepper,
Chopped parsley / dried parsley,
4 - 5 eggs (room temp.)
1. In a pan, braise onion until golden with oil and taj.
2. Add spices and braise until fragnant.
3. Add tomatoes and sauce, and reduce till thickened into a ‘chutney’ texture. It will be ready when little holes form.
4. Remove taj, and make small little holes/pockets in the chutney.
5. Crack eggs and gently pour without breaking yolk, into pockets.
6. Cover pan with a lid and allow to steam until cooked. Cook as you desire, I.e. with hard or runny yolk.
7. Garnish with parsley and pepper, serve hot