Spicy Mexican Bean Burgers
Rec cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
2 tins cannellini beans
1 teaspoon Jeeru (Cumin) (cumin) seeds
1 large onion (diced)
1 red pepper (diced)
2 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 jalapeno (finely chopped) or 1 teaspoon ground green chillies
2 teaspoon paprika
1 1⁄2 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder
1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon salt
Juice of ½ lime
Fist fresh coriander (chopped)
3-4 slices fresh bread (crumbed)
Mielie meal (to coat)
Oil (as needed),
Fresh salsa (tomato, coriander, onion- chopped)
250ml plain Yoghurt
2 tablespoon coriander (chopped)
1 tablespoon lime juice
1. Drain and wash beans. Mash the beans.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan and cook onion, Jeeru (Cumin) and pepper until soft. Stir in the garlic and chillies and cook for another minute.
3. Stir the onion mixture into beans, add lime juice, coriander, spices, and breadcrumbs and mix by hand.
4. With greased hands, form into patties, and chill for half an hour in fridge.
5. Dip the patties in mielie meal to coat, then lightly fry in oil over a medium heat until golden on both sides.
6. Serve in buns with salsa, avocado and yoghurt sauce.
Note: I used store bought Sriracha sauce aswell.