Rec cred: purple Indian Delights
Pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
1 - 1 1/2kg fresh line fish
1 small onion grated
1 tablespoon aamli juice/lemon juice
2 teaspoon ground garlic
2 teaspoon crushed coriander
2 teaspoon freshly grated coconut
2 cups fresh tomato puree
½ cup almonds
1 large onion sliced/chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon crushed cumin
1 ½ teaspoon fresh ground red chilli
½ cup oil
½ teaspoon turmeric
1. Clean, wash and slice fish in pieces. Drain well. (Get the slicing done at fishery).
2. Roast unblanched split almonds on tawa till browned. Leave half.
3. Grate the other half and mix with dry spices, garlic, chillies, lemon, coconut, grated onion and 1 teaspoon oil.
4. Keep aside ¼ of the masala and smear the rest on fish pieces. Marinate for an hour in fridge.
5. Put in greased baking tin & pour half of oil over it. Cover with foil and bake for 30min in 180degC oven.
6. Fry onions in remaining oil, when they begin to change color, add tomato puree and remaining masala.
7. Simmer for few minutes till spices intergrated in curry.
8. Remove foil from fish and pour marinade all over and around fish.
9. Garnish with remaining split almonds and sprigs of curry leaves.
10. Bake till fish is done.
Note: I served with savoury rice