Chicken Spinach Corn Bhajias
Rec cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
2 cups chana flour (gram),
½ cup cake flour,
400g packet spinach (washed and roughly cut, the water on spinach will bind batter),
1 large onion (sliced),
1 teaspoon ground ginger,
1 teaspoon ground garlic,
½ teaspoon turmeric powder,
1 teaspoon chilli powder,
1 ½ teaspoon fine salt,
1 tablespoon rough red chillies,
1 tablespoon ground green chillies,
1 ½ cups cooked salt and pepper chicken (diced small),
½ - 1 cup frozen corn (cooked in microwave)
Cold tap water (as needed),
3 level teaspoon baking powder (add just before frying).
1. Mix everything in a deep dish (except baking powder), and slowly start adding ¼ cup water mixing well after to bind batter. Keep adding a little at a time till the batter is the correct consistency (thick but can easily slide of the spoon).
2. Pour oil into a deep pot and heat on medium heat.
3. When hot, add baking powder to batter and now test the oil if it’s the correct temperature.
4. Drop a drop of batter and see if it floats to the top.
5. Gently spoon in tablespoons of batter.
6. Allow bhajias to cook on each side until golden brown.
7. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
8. Test the first bhajia to come out of the oil to see if it’s cooked all the way through. Serve with chutney (dip) of choice.