1-1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup whole milk
½ cup strong brewed coffee
1½ teaspoons espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1. Mix the espresso powder into the brewed
coffee until dissolved; set aside to cool to room
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a
standard-size muffin tin with paper liners.
3. Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder,
baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Beat the butter and both sugars together on
medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2-
3 minutes. Add the egg and beat until combined.
In a measuring cup, combine the milk, brewed
coffee mixture and vanilla. Slowly add the flour
mixture, alternating with the coffee mixture,
ending with the flour mixture.
5. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 liners.
Baking for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick
inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out
clean. Cool completely before frosting cupcakes.