1 tablespoon vegetable/olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
100g macon, chopped (optional- adds smoky flavour)
1 tablespoon plain flour
600ml fish stock, (either fresh or can use cube/flavour pot)
225g potatos, cut into cubes (about 3-4 medium)
pinch mace (or use cinnamon as an alternative)
320g pack fish pie mix (any fish, calamari rings, muscles - salmon, haddock and smoked haddock work well too)
4 tablespoon single cream
250g pack cooked mixed shellfish (
small bunch parsley , chopped
crusty bread, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a flat pot/saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion and macon. Cook for 8-10 minutes until the onion is soft and the macon is cooked. Stir in the flour, then cook for a further 2 minutes.
2.Pour in the fish stock and bring it up to a gentle simmer. Add the potatoes, cover, then simmer for 10-12 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.
3. Add the mace, cayenne pepper and some seasoning such as smoky paprika, garlic, then stir in the milk.
4. Tip the fish pie mix into the pan, gently simmer for 4 minutes. Add the cream and shellfish, then simmer for 1 minutues more.
5. Check the seasoning but be careful with salt as the stock is likely to be salty.
6. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve with some crusty bread with spread.
INFO / TIPS / CREDITS
Adapted from BBc good food.
Very hearty and delicious dish
This recipe serves 4-6 people.