For the meatballs:
500g lean beef mince
Handful of finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 red chilli, chopped fine
70g fine dried breadcrumbs, (4 slices brown bread, crusts removed, into oven at 200˚C for 5 minutes then blitzed in food processor)
2 tablespoon barbecue spice
2 tablespoon ground coriander
2 tablespoon ground cumin
Handful fresh coriander, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Canola Oil for frying
1. Place all ingredients into a large bowl and mix well to combine.
2. Take one tablespoon of mix and roll in hands to form a ball.
3. Repeat with rest of mixture.
4. Heat oil in a large frying pan.
5. Add meatballs and fry until golden brown on all sides.
6. Put on a lid or cover with tin foil and cook for another couple minutes until cooked through.
INFO / TIPS / CREDITS
For the Tzatziki
Good quality plain yogurt like Greek or Bulgarian yogurt OR Buttermilk . If your lactose intolerant you can use a lactose free yogurt.
Salt and pepper to taste
few mint leaves (optional)
Slice the cucumber in half and remove the seeds. Then grate the cucumber. Squeeze out all the moisture and add to bowl . Add Yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
You can purchase some pita breads from the supermarket or make your own.
Butter both sides of the pita and toast both sides.
Cut an opening at the top.
Fill your pita with meatballs and top with tzatziki . You may add any sauces of your choice and even a bit of lettuce and tomato.
Perfect for quick weekend meals and picnics!
adapted from Siba mtongana