Spicy Yellow Lentil Soup
with Crispy Coriander & Phylo Croutons
Rec cred: ruhana ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
1⁄2 cup yellow moong (mugni dhar/lentils)
1 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon chilli powder
1⁄2 teaspoon red ginger garlic masala
1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
1 large tomato (liquidized)
1 tablespoon Aamli sauce
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 satchet tomato paste or 2 tablespoon tomato sauce
1⁄4 cup fresh cream (optional)
1 onion (sliced)
1⁄4 teaspoon Jeeru (Cumin) seeds
1⁄4 mustard seeds
Few curry leaves
Rough red chillies
Fresh coriander leaves
1. Soak lentils for 3 hours. Wash and drain.
2. Place in pot/mug on stove to boil, with pinch salt and pinch turmeric, till mushy texture forms.
3. Braise onion in oil with seeds and leaves till golden.
4. Add spices and masala and braise till fragrant.
5. Add cooked lentils to pot, with tomato, sauces and vinegar. Allow to cook till tomato has reduced.
6. Add cream and chopped greens. Simmer till thickened.
7. Now add 1 cup water and simmer till reduced to desired consistency (or add more water if want it thinner). Check if salt needs to be added.
8. Unfold phylo to half its width. Cut pastry in half width wise.
9. Press pastry down and cut in its rolled shape. Fry till crispy and golden.
10. Spoon soup in serving bowl.
11. Fry coriander leaves till crispy.
12. Place on croutons and leaves, with a sprinkle of rough red chillies and serve immediately with traditional naan.