1 cup semolina
½ teaspoon ground Elachi (cardomom) powder
2 cinnamon sticks
200 grams butter with 125g melted ghee (Clarified butter)
½ cup any/ all of the optional ingredients: sultana's, dried prunes, slivered almonds or pistachios.
6 large eggs
1 ½ cups milk
½ tin 365g Nestle dessert cream
2 teaspoon rose essence
30 ml rose water
1 drop of lemon yellow gel colour
A pinch of saffron infused in 2 teaspoon of boiling water
60 ml granulated sugar / ½ tin sweetened condensed milk
1. In a 25 cm pot, combine the semolina, Elachi (cardomom) powder, cinnamon sticks, nuts, butter & ghee (Clarified butter) together.
2. Stir continuously until the mixture is completely melted & starts to foam & bubble.
3. Continue to stir for 10 minutes, becareful not to burn or brown the mixture.
1. Blitz all of the ingredients well together in a blender until sugar is dissolved.
Binding the soji (semolina):
1. Once the egg nog is fully combined & the sugar is dissolved, slowly add this to the braise mixture.
2. Continue stirring until it starts to thicken.
3. After 5 minutes or so, the mixture will start to bind.
4. Lower the heat & continue to stir until the soji (semolina) binds fully into a big mass.
5. Switch off your stove but leave the pot on the stove for the soji (semolina) to continue to steam away.
6. You can serve immediately & garnish with rest of the Nestle dessert cream & sprinkled nuts.
7. If you need to reheat again, turn heat up to medium, pour in a bit of cream, give it a good stir & serve as desired.
INFO / TIPS / CREDITS
1. Add cream or sweetened condensed milk for a creamier texture & richer taste.
2. Alternative serving suggestion: pour over Nestle dessert cream & thereafter add canned sliced apricot or any other fresh fruit of your choice.