Half a packet of good quality spaghetti (Fattis & Monis)
½ kg lamb mince, rinsed
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
A good glug of olive oil
1 medium red onion finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, liquidised
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
½ teaspoon dried rosemary
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black milled pepper
½ teaspoon fine chilli powder (optional)
¼ teaspoon paprika
½ sachet tomato paste / puree (whichever you have on hand)
½ cup thick based tomato sauce (preferably Heinz, All Gold or Wellington)
A handful of fresh finely chopped basil
A handful of fresh finely chopped parsley
1. Boil spaghetti as per the packet instructions & drain.
2. Drizzle with olive oil to avoid sticking together & mix lightly with a fork.
1. Rinse mince lightly, mix with ginger, garlic & lemon juice & leave aside to marinade for 5-10 minutes.
1. Heat a deep cooking pot on medium to high. Sautè onions in olive oil.
2. Add spices & herbs.
3. Add fresh liquidised tomato & braise for 5 minutes.
4. Add marinated mince & cook for 10 minutes. Do not add water, allow the mince to release its own. If it dries out too quickly add about 30 mls of water at a time but not too much, just enough to prevent the mince from burning/ sticking to the base of the pot.
5. Once mince is cooked, add tomato paste/ puree, mixed in. Taste for salt, adjust if necessary.
6. Lastly, add tomato sauce & lower the heat. At this stage you will have a lovely saucy mince.
7. Add spaghetti & combine with mince.
8. Serve hot with home made wholewheat garlic bread. (Refer to my soup recipe on how to make your own wholewheat garlic bread).
Grate half a block of mozarella or cheddar cheese for a creamier & cheesy sauce.
This mince & sauce recipe can also be used to make lasagne. Par boil lasgane sheets & place them in a platter, top with mince, then grate cheese over, repeat again & lastly with a layer if lasagne topped with cheese & bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
INFO & TIPS
This recipe is so quick & easy yet so delicious. You need not go all the way to Italy to experience good old spaghettir bolognaise, you can simply enjoy it in the comfort of your home & company of your family & loved ones! Voila!