Rec cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
2 large eggplants (peeled, sliced lengthwise into 1⁄4 inch sheets)
Drizzle olive oil
Salt and pepper
1kg chicken mince
2 tablespoon oil
2 onions (sliced)
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 red pepper (chopped)
1 punnet button mushrooms (sliced)
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder
Pinch turmeric powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon red ginger garlic masala
1 packet chopped spinach
6-8 roma (jam) tomatoes (liquidized)
2 x 300g Meze ricotta cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Grated mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoon dried italian herbs
1. Preheat oven to 210degC.
2. Drizzle olive oil on oven tray, with salt and pepper and toss sliced eggplants.
3. Cook slices 5 minutes on each side.
4. Lower oven temp to 180degC.
5. Braise onion in oil, add spices, chillies, garlic and lemon, mix, then add mince and brown for 5 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes and 1⁄2 cup water, and cook for 15 minutes.
7. Add red pepper, spinach and mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Blend ricotta, egg and cheese.
9. In a med-large oven proof dish, spread 1⁄3 of meat sauce in bottom of dish.
10. Layer ½ eggplant slices.
11. Spread ½ ricotta mixture.
13. Add last layer of sauce, and then sprinkle cheeses and herbs on top.
14. Cover with foil and bake for approx. 45min.
15. Remove foil and bake another 5 minutes until cheese browns.
16. Let it rest 10 minutes before slicing.