Date & Nut Loaf Cake
Rec cred: Hajera Ebrahim (mum)
Pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
1 ¼ cups boiling water
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
250g pitted dates (chopped)
½ cup chopped pecan nuts/walnuts
1 cup castor sugar
1 extra large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 180degC. Grease and line loaf tin.
2. Place water in saucepan and bring to boil.
3. Add bicarb and remove from stove.
4. Add dates and nuts. Leave aside.
5. Cream butter & sugar till pale & fluffy.
6. Add vanilla and egg and beat in.
7. Sift flour and baking powder.
8. Add in date mixture to batter, then flour.
9. Beat it till smooth.
10. Pour batter into loaf pan and place in oven.
11. Bake for approx. 45min or until skewered and comes clean.
12. Remove from oven. Allow to cool few minutes.
13. Remove from tin. Allow to cool again.
14. Dust with icing sugar.
15. Store in air tight container.