Lahori Mutton Karahi
Rec cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
1kg lamb/mutton curry pieces
4 tablespoon ghee (Clarified butter)
3 onions (sliced)
2 star anise
3 Elachi (cardomom) pods
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon kulunji seeds
4 large tomatoes
2 tablespoon red ginger garlic masala
2 tablespoon brown vinegar
2 teaspoon mustard powder
2 teaspoon chilli powder
1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garum masala
1 teaspoon kasturi Methi (Fenugreek) (optional)
4 tablespoon double thick plain yoghurt
fresh coriander leaves
lemon thinly sliced
tomato thinly sliced
1. Melt half of ghee (Clarified butter) in karahi pot.
2. Add in 2/3 of sliced onion and braise till golden.
3. Place in liquidizer with chopped tomatoes and a little water. Blend.
4. Heat remainder ghee (Clarified butter) add remainder onion with kulunji, star anise, Elachi (cardomom) and bay leaves.
5. Cook until onions are lightly golden.
6. Add masala, vinegar, mustard powder and spices.
7. Braise till fragrant, then add lamb/mutton pieces.
8. Seal meat well, then add in liquidized tomatoes and 2 cups water.
9. Cook on medium heat till reduced.
10. Check if meat is tender, if not add more water and cook till tender.
11. Add yoghurt and kasturi Methi (Fenugreek).
12. Cook until oil comes on top & gravy is thickened.
13. Garnish with coriander leaves, lemon slices, julienned ginger & tomato slices.
14. Serve with naan bread/ roti/ basmati rice.