Stuffed Cabbage Parcels on Balsamic Lentil Salad
Rec cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
2 large baby cabbage
1 kg beef mince
2 onions (grated, squeeze out water)
4 slices bread (remove crusts, soak in little water)
1⁄2 bunch dhania (coriander) (chopped)
2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
1 1⁄2 teaspoon dhana jeeroo powder
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon ground green chillies (or to taste)
2 eggs (beaten)
1 large red onion
2 tablespoon crushed garlic
Parsley (2 whole sprigs+ chopped)
1 cup dried brown lentils
Handful baby plum tomatoes
2 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
Pinch mustard powder
1. Wash mince, squeeze out water, add bread to mince and all the spices, chillies, garlic, dhania (coriander) and eggs to bind.
2. Form frikkadels in greased hands.
3. Leave to rest in fridge for 2hrs.
4. Fry in medium oil on medium-high heat, and brown on either side.
5. Leave aside.
6. Gently wash cabbage leaves. Then give a slight boil till leaves become just tender.
7. Wrap around frikkadels, forming neat parcels and place in greased oven proof dish.
8. Place in oven at 180degC to bake for 15min.
9. In a saucepan, bring water to boil.
10. Add ¼ of red onion, 2 parsley sprigs and ½ of garlic. Stir in lentils.
11. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until lentils are just tender, about 20 minutes.
12. Drain lentils and discard onion and parsley.
13. Heat oil in a small saucepan, add garlic and saute.
14. Add vinegar, mustard & honey and simmer over low heat till ¼ has reduced.
15. Slice tomatoes into quarters and saute in a drizzle of oil and pinch of salt & pepper till softened
16. Place lentils in a bowl. Add vinaigrette, tomatoes, chopped parsley.
17. Chop remainder onion and add to lentils. Toss to coat.
18. Season with salt and pepper.
19. Spoon salad onto a serving platter.
20. Place on cabbage parcels & garnish.