Steak Curry Pies
Rec and pic cred: ruhana ebrahim
2 tablespoon oil
1 large onion (sliced)
2 pieces taj (cinnamon sticks)
1 teaspoon Jeeroo (cumin) seeds
1kg steak (cubed small)
1 tablespoon red ginger garlic masala
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoon dhana jeeroo powder
1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 tablespoon brown vinegar
3 large tomatoes (liquidized)
1 tablespoon mustard sauce
1⁄4 cup Crystal's sauce
Chopped dhania (coriander)
3 potatoes (peeled and diced)
1. Heat oil, braise onion with jeeroo and taj until lightly golden.
2. Add masala and spices, then add steak, mustard powder and vinegar.
3. Cook till no water remains, add tomatoes and potatoes, cook until potatoes and steak are tender, adding water if needed.
4. Remove taj pieces.
5. Add sauces and allow to thicken.
6. Cool completely, then add dhania (coriander).
7. May omit potatoes if you wish.
8. Spoon filling into pie pastry and brush with egg.
9. Sprinkle on dried herbs & freeze.
10. Bake at 180degC in preheated oven till puffed & golden. Serve with savoury dip.