Base Recipe by my MIL 💕
Fatema Amod (Durban)
300ml Milk250g\1 Cup soji (semolina)250g\1 Cup Butter \ ghee (Clarified butter)250g\1 Cup Brown Sugar2x Large Eggs1 teaspoon Saffron Threads or 1 tablespoon Saffron Essence1 teaspoon Elachi (cardomom) \ Cardamom Powder1 Cup Self Raising Flour
Thiel \ Cas Cas \ Chopped Colored Almonds and/or Improvise.
1. Soak up and incorporate 200ml Milk with 250g soji (semolina), to form a stiff paste mix. Leave to soak whilst preparing the rest of the mixes. Hint, through on top a few saffron threads, whilst soji (semolina) is in deep soak. (Mix 1)
2. Beat 250g Butter\ghee (Clarified butter) with 250g Brown Sugar till incorporated, refrigerate for about 20-30mins to firm up. (Mix 2)
3. Lightly roast on low heat the remaining saffron strands, to bring out the deep saffron scent. Take the remaining 100ml milk and warm up in the microwave and incorporate with the roasted saffron. Bring to decent heat so that the milk discolours to a deep yellow/orange, no need to boil. (Mix 3)
4. Beat up 2X Large Eggs separately and incorporate in Mix 1*, Add *Mix 3* and beat till incorporated. *(Mix 4)
5. Add Mix 4* to *Mix 2* and incorporate the mix thoroughly.*(Mix 5)
6. Lastly cut in the 1 Cup Self Raising Flour with 1 teaspoon Elachi (cardomom) \ Cardamom Power. Do not over mix after adding the Flour. Folding in the mix with spatula is recommended. (Mix 6)
7. Grease a 230mmX330mm Oven Bake Pan to give you a 40mm-50mm thick AKs Saffron soji (semolina) cake.
8. Spread out Mix 6 into the Pan and “lightly” level out. Décor with Thiel \ Cas Cas and/or Coloured Almond slithers .
9. Preheat Oven to 180 Deg Celcius and Bake for about 20Mins, brown to your liking.
10.Cut up and Enjoy warm.
INFO & TIPS
Don't overbake, the cake will dry up. Add decicated coconut (if you like) into the mix (not more than half a cup) or on top to supplement the Decor.
Notice the deep yellow colour in the pic, this is all Saffron. All other ingredients have no colour effect to the end result. So Yes use Saffron threads if you have.🤤
If you looking for a slightly dense and moist cake, Add 2 tbsp Plain Yoghurt. Ooooh, this is also Yummy 👌.
Eating Tip, Go for the Baked Edge Pieces.🤤
Visualisation /Experience Tip, imagine eating a Traditional Soji hot desert, in cake form and then you are On Point.💯👌🤤
That's an idea, Nestle Cream will go well as a topping before serving.
This is my first posting and my apologies for any shortcomings.🤔
Your recommendations will also be well received. Jazakhallah Khair💐
WOULD YOU LIKE TO
Joined 1 year ago