1 chicken, spatch-cocked
250ml chicken stock
375ml basil leaves
2 cloves of garlic crushed
180ml grated parmesan cheese
50g pine nuts
125ml olive oil
1. Put the basil and garlic into the bowl of a food
processor and roughly chop.
2. Add the cheese and pine nuts and pulse
again. Then with the machine running slowly add
in the olive oil. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
Scrape it into a bowl.
3. Slip your fingers under the skin of the chicken
and loosen it gently without tearing it. Work half
the pesto mixture under the chicken skin. Rub
the chicken with any remaining pesto.
4. Place the chicken into a roasting pan, add half
the stock to the pan and roast at 180C for 45-60
minutes until it is cooked.
5. Baste with pan juices from time to time. Top
up the pan juices with the stock if it gets dry (use
this to make a gravy with a little cornflour slaked
6. Remove from the oven and put the chicken
onto the carving board, cover with foil.
7. Carve and serve either hot or cold