1 cup yellow lentils
2 tablespoon butter
1 onion, sliced
1 tomato, grated
1 teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
3-4 cups chicken stock
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Coriander or parsley to garnish
• Rinse and soak lentils in water overnight.
Drain the water out.
• In a pan, heat butter until it melts.
• Add onions and cook over medium heat until it JUST starts to caramelize.
• Add the lentils, tomato, cumin powder, chilli flakes and stock.
• Boil for around half an hour or until the lentils are cooked.
• You can adjust the stock amount depending on how thick you want the soup to be.
• When cooked, run the soup in a blender until soup.
• Season with salt, pepper and lemon.
• Garnish with coriander and serve with Arabic bread gently warmed in the oven.
INFO & TIPS
-a bit of garlic (1 clove of garlic) may be added (when adding the other spices), to give the soup a bit more of a 'zing'. A Middle Eastern soup, it is relatively bland when compared to Haleem, Nihari, etc.