½ cup chana dal
1 teaspoon fennel seeds/Soumph (Fennel)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
2-3 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
½ inch ginger, roughly chopped
1 green chili, roughly chopped
1.5 to 2 tablespoon chopped onion
a pinch of baking soda (optional)
1.5 to 2 tablespoon water for grinding
1. Rinse the dal for a couple of times in water.
2. Soak the chana dal in enough water for 3 to 4 hours or overnight if you desire (not completely necessary).
3. drain the soaked dal and place in a grinder/mini chopper.
4. Add 1.5 to 2 tablespoon chopped onion along with the chopped green chilies, ginger and garlic, fennel seeds, cumin seeds in the grinder.
5. add 1.5 to 2 tablespoon water and grind to a smooth batter. (as needed)
6. take the ground batter in a bowl. add 2 tablespoon chopped onion and salt.
7. Also add a pinch of baking soda if using. I do recommend as it makes it fluffy and rises well. Mix the batter very well.
8.Heat oil for deep frying in a pan. Drop spoonfuls of the batter in medium hot oil.
9. Fry the chana dal pakoras till crisp and golden. drain the pakoras on paper towels to remove excess oil.
serve chana dal pakoras hot or warm with green chutney or coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.