Pinch of salt
10g (1 packet) instant dry yeast
60 - 75ml milk
60g (4 Tablespoons) butter or brick margarine
150ml lukewarm water
125ml (½ cup) White Sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
125ml (½ cup) ] SunSweet Brown Sugar
10ml (2 teaspoons) ground cinnamon
45g (3 Tablespoons) butter, melted
40g pecan nuts, chopped (optional)
1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
Add the instant dry yeast.
2. Warm the milk slightly and stir in
the butter until it melts. Mix in the water,
sugar and beaten eggs.
3. Make a well in the centre of the dry
ingredients. Pour in enough of the liquid
ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon so
that the dough comes away from the sides of
the bowl. Knead the dough well until it
becomes smooth and elastic.
4. Place the dough on a lightly floured
surface, cover with greased plastic and
leave to rest for 20 minutes.
5. Prepare the Streusel mixture:
combine all the ingredients in a bowl and
6. Knock the dough down and divide it
into two equal pieces. Press one piece down
into the bottom of a greased 23cm pan.
7. Sprinkle half the Streusel mixture
over this layer of dough.
8. Roll the remaining piece into a long
sausage shape. Working on top of the
streusel mixture and starting from the
centre, form a spiral shape by wrapping the
sausage around itself (like sausage on a
braai (bbq)). Press down well to cover the
9. Sprinkle the remaining Streusel
mixture on top of the spiral.
10. Cover with greased plastic and allow
to rise in a warm place until double in
volume, about 30 minutes.
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC
for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted
into the centre comes out clean.
Makes 1 bread.
INFO / TIPS