Mugh (Green Moong)
Rec cred: ruhana ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
1 cup green moong
1 onion (sliced)
1 teaspoon Jeeru (Cumin) seeds
2 pieces taj (cinnamon sticks)
1 stem curry leaves
2 large tomatoes (liquidized)
1 teaspoon red ginger garlic masala
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder
Splash white vinegar
1. Boil moong in water with salt and turmeric. Cover with lid with a slight gap so does not over boil but so that skins come to surface. When it does, scoop and discard.
2. When moong is tender, remove from stove.
3. Braise onion in oil with Jeeru (Cumin), taj and leaves.
4. Add spices and masala, braise for few seconds, then add tomato.
5. Cook till chutney forms, then add moong and 1 cup water (or more).
6. Allow to boil together till desired consistency.
7. I add a splash of vinegar before serving. Serve with roti/bread.