White Bean Shakshouka
Rec cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
2 cups boiled white fresh beans
1 large onion (sliced)
½ teaspoon Jeeru (Cumin) seeds
2 pieces taj (cinnamon sticks)
2 tablespoon oil
3 large tomatoes (chopped)
1 teaspoon garlic paste
½ teaspoon ginger paste
½ tablespoon red ginger garlc masala
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder
1 ½ teaspoon Portuguese chicken spice
2 tablespoon tomato sauce
½ cup coconut cream
Good pinch saffron threads
2 tablespoon lemon juice
5-6 extra large eggs
1 tray of Chicken sausages
Fresh dhania (coriander) (to garnish)
1. Boil beans in water until soft, drain and leave aside.
2. In a pot, add oil taj, Jeeru (Cumin) and onions.
3. Braise until lightly golden, add the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, the spices and masala.
4. Let it cook on low until the tomatoes are softened, add tomato sauce, ½ cup water and cooked beans.
5. Cook until water has reduced, then add coconut cream and saffron.
6. Cook until sauce thickens.
7. Drizzle with lemon juice, stir.
8. In a pan steam sausages until cooked. Remove from pan.
9. Add cooled beans to pan. Make pockets in them for eggs.
10. Pour eggs into pockets and steam on low until eggs have cooked through.
11. Garnish with coriander.
12. Serve with sausages, toasted bread/roti.