Butter Pastry Samoosas (Steak)
Rec cred: hajera ebrahim (mum)
Pic cred: ruhana ebrahim
3 cups flour
3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup tap water
maizena (corn flour) (as needed)
3 tablespoon oil
2 onions (sliced)
2 pieces taj (cinnamon bark)
1 teaspoon Jeeru (Cumin) seeds
1kg steak (cubed small)
1 tablespoon red ginger garlic masala
1 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoon dhana jeeroo powder
1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 tablespoon brown vinegar
3 large tomatoes (liquidized)
1⁄2 cup Crystal's sauce
Chopped dhania (coriander)
3 large potatoes (peeled and diced)
Sesame seeds/dried herbs/ poppy seeds
1. Sift flour and baking powder together.
2. Melt half the butter and mix with water.
3. Make a soft dough with flour and water & butter mixture.
4. Divide dough into 10 pieces.
5. Roll out into thin rotis.
6. Melt remainder butter and smear onto rotis.
7. Sprinkle on some maizena (corn flour).
8. Place one on top of the other (like samoosa pur) and allow to harden slightly in fridge.
9. Roll out- preferably rectangular.
10. Roll like swiss and slice into thick slices.
11. Chill again slightly in fridge.
12. Roll into rounds. (Freezer suitable now, thaw out and place filling in dough when ready to use.)
13. Place filling in center and fold into triangles.
14. Brush with egg and sprinkle herbs/seeds.
15. Bake in preheated oven at 180 degC until golden and puffed.
1. Heat oil, braise onion with Jeeru (Cumin) and taj until lightly golden.
2. Add masala and spices, then add steak, mustard and vinegar.
3. Cook till no water remains, add tomatoes and potatoes, cook until potatoes and steak are tender, adding water if needed.
4. Remove taj pieces, add sauce and allow to thicken.
5. Cool completely. Add dhania (coriander) and use filling.
Note: The potatoes can be omitted if you wish.