Smoky Mac 'and Cheese
Rec and pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
2 cups macaroni,
50g butter, cubed,
1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup flour,
2 cups milk,
1 cup fresh cream,
8 x 18g blocks melrose cheese spread,
1⁄2 teaspoon salt,
1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder,
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper,
2 cups grated cheddar cheese,
15 cocktail smoked russians,
Dried mixed herbs.
1. Cook macaroni with little oil and salt till al-dente.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C.
3. In a large saucepan, fry sliced russians. Remove from pan, leaving behind the oil used to fry it.
4. In same pan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Whisk until thickened.
5. Reduce heat; stir in fresh cream, melrose cheese, cheddar cheese, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth and cheese is melted.
6. Toss macaroni with cream sauce & fried russian slices.
7. Garnish with additional cheddar cheese & dried mixed herbs.
8. Bake, uncovered, 20min until golden brown and bubbly.