4 cups cake flour
4 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon nutmeg powder
1 cup castor sugar
125g baking margarine
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup sour milk
1. Mix all dry ingredients.
2. Rub softened margarine into butter and form "crumbs".
3. Mix eggs into sourmilk.
4. Add to dry ingredients as needed, bind and form soft dough.
5. Heat a deep fryer or wok with oil on stove on medium heat.
6. Roll out dough 3cm thick on lightly floured surface.
7. Cut out dough with doughnut cutter.
8. Mix cinnamon and sugar and leave ready.
9. Deep fry doughnuts on medium heat till golden brown on either side and cooked through.
10. Drain doughnuts in colander with kitchen paper, then whilst warm dip in cinnamon sugar.
Note: may also dip in melted chocolate or in simple syrup.