Rec cred: @mama_taught_me_well
Pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Curry-1 large onion (sliced)3 elachie (cardamom) pods2 pieces taj (cinnamon)1kg mutton curry pieces1 large tablespoon red ginger garlic masala1 tablespoon brown vinegar2 teaspoon mustard powder2 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder1 teaspoon salt1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric2 teaspoon chilli powder4 large tomatoes (liquidized)4 large potatoes (cut in halves or quarters)1 1⁄2 cups water1⁄2 bunch chopped dhania (coriander)
Dumplings-1 cup flour3⁄4 teaspoon salt1 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder1 egg1⁄2 cup milk1 tablespoon oil
1. Braise onion with oil, taj and Elachi (cardomom) until golden. 2. Add spices, vinegar and chillies and braise until fragrant. 3. Add mutton and coat well. 4. Cook until mutton is tender, adding water as needed.5. Fry potatoes until crispy and golden outside and soft inside.6. Add tomatoes to pot and cook until reduced.7. Add potatoes and water as needed to make a gravy. 8. Whilst water incorporates into curry, mix the dumplings dough.9. Mix milk and oil together. Mix in egg.10. Then mix into dry ingredients.11. Spoon into gravy of curry, using a tablespoon.This should make approx 8-10 dumplings.12. Cover pot and place something heavy over so steam does not escape.13. Cook on medium heat for 5min, then drop heat to lowest and cook for further 10-15min.14. Dumplings should be fluffy and light in texture, well risen.15. You may make a vagaar of curry leaves, mustard & Jeeru (Cumin) seeds with a little oil, heat and pour over dumplings. But my family prefers it without.
INFO & TIPS
* Use a deep pot so that there is place for steam & dumplings to rise.
* Make sure the gravy is wettish because it must steam as well as the dumplings soak up the gravy.
* It is a batter, so the dough for the dumplings should be sticky.
* Do not over mix the dough, as it will make the dumpling stiff and tight, not airy and bready as it should be.
* Placing the heavy object over the pot lid so steam doesn't escape is something I make sure I do. I see better results when I do this.
17 Mar 2018
WOULD YOU LIKE TO ?
Food Blogger & Food Stylist.
Mum & Wife.
Joined 7 years ago