Naartjie & Golden Syrup Pudding
Rec cred: adapted from Fairlady
Pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
150g butter (room temp)
1 cup castor sugar
grated zest of 1 naartjie
2 eggs (room temp)
1 1⁄4 cups cake flour
1 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 seedless naartjie (peeled)
1⁄4 cup milk
1 tablespoon golden syrup + more
Whipped cream/ ice-cream or custard
1. In a bowl, beat together butter, sugar and grated zest until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Sift in flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
4. Blend naartjie, milk and 1 tablespoon golden syrup.
5. Add to flour mixture.
6. Stir well to combine.
7. Grease a pudding bowl/ bundt pan or individual ramekins.
8. Add 2 tablespoon golden syrup into the base of the bowl/pan or divide between ramekins.
9. Pour in batter.
10. Place into a bain-marie (water bath).
11. Bake in a preheated oven at 180degC for 45min.
12. Leave to cool for few minutes, then turn over. Serve with cream/ ice-cream or custard.