Saffron Elachi (cardomom) Bread
Recipe credit: Indian Delight recipe cook
Picture credit: Fatima A Latif
Bismillah hir Rahman nir Raheem
10g instant yeast
½ beaten egg
360ml warm milk
40g sultanas (I omitted)
Few saffron strands
2 tablespoons honey
½ teaspoon crushed Elachi (cardomom) seeds
1. Sift flour, yeast & Elachi (cardomom) together, add sultanas and rub in butter.
2. Boil a tablespoon or two of milk and infuse saffron in it for 5 minutes. Sieve through a strainer.
3. Beat honey, egg & saffron milk and add to flour. Gradually add rest of milk to make a soft but firm dough. If necessary you may add a little more milk.
4. Turn dough out on a floured board and knead for 5 minutes. Return to mixing bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave to double in volume.
5. When risen, place on a floured board and knead lightly. Shape and place in greased pans. Slash top of dough in 2 or 3 places, and leave to rise again.
6. Bake in 200C oven for 20 minutes or longer. When golden brown, put upside down on a wire rack. Take out from tins and brush tops with extra honey and sprinkle over with slivered almond. Slice and serve with butter. Delicious with tea or coffee.
*We enjoyed it warm as it came out of the oven in time for Iftaar. We had it with kahwa. Was also lovely for sehri.