Pitta bread📸salmah dendar📝Recipe from Palestine on a Plate:by Joudie kalla Serves: 8
Preparation: 20 minutes plus rising 1 hour 10 minutes
Cooking: 5 minutes
7g instant yeast
240ml tepid/warm water
1 teaspoon golden caster sugar
400g plain ﬂour
50ml olive oil, plus extra for oiling
● Mix the yeast and warm water together in a large bowl. Leave for a couple of minutes and then add the sugar and stir through.
● Add the flour and olive oil and knead together until you have a smooth doughy consistency that bounces back. This should take 5–8 minutes. Leave the dough in an oiled bowl for about 1 hour until it has risen.
● Preheat the oven to 240°C (220°C fan).
● Once risen, cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape them into balls. Lay them on a baking tray and leave to rise for another 10 minutes. Once risen, flatten each ball with a rolling pin (not too thin), lay on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until the pittas have puffed up.
● Serve, dipping into some olive oil and za'atar if liked. These will keep for a few days if sealed in an airtight container.