1 whole medium chicken
• 500g/1-¼ lbs potatoes, peeled, steamed and mashed
• 3 large sour dill pickles/gherkins diced
• 1 cup of fresh or frozen peas, cooked
• 1 small to medium onion, finely chopped
• 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
• 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and coarsely chopped
• 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced (reserve)
• 1 heaped tablespoon of capers, drained
• 3 cups of mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon of prepared mustard, Dijon preferred
• 3 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 1 teaspoon of black pepper or more to taste
• 1 teaspoon of dry paprika
• 3 tablespoons of fresh dill or 1 tablespoon of dry dill
• ½ - 1 cup of ripe black olives, cut in half
• parsley sprigs
• 1 large ripe tomato, cut into small wedges
• Little gems of lettuce leaves, washed and dried, or spun in a
Wash the chicken and place in a large saucepan. Cover with water,
add salt and pepper and ½ tea spoon of fresh dill and bring to
boil. Turn heat down to low or medium and cover with lid and cook
for 40 minutes.
Remove lid and place the three eggs gently beside the chicken as
they can boil in the water, and using a steamer, section and lid
over the chicken in the saucepan.
Place potatoes that have been washed and peeled and halved(
medium size potatoes) in the steamer section, cover with lid,
above the chicken and eggs. This is energy efficient and saves
time as you’re steaming the chicken, eggs and potatoes together.
Turn heat up again and bring to boil, then turn down to low or
medium heat for 15-20 minutes till potatoes are done. You can
check if they’re done by pricking with a fork and seeing if
Remove top steamer section and take eggs out of water with a
slotted spoon or large spoon carefully and leave eggs to cool,
ideally in cold gently running water. Replace the top section.
Remove chicken and put on a large plate to cool.
Mash potatoes and set aside.
When the chicken has cooled, remove skin and discard - ideally to
your cat or recycling bin for food and remove flesh from chicken
and shred with your hands into fairly small pieces. Then set it
Shell the eggs and mash 2 of them.
In a big bowl or plastic container, place the chicken, 2 eggs,
onion, mashed potatoes, salt, pepper, paprika, dill, gherkin,
capers and mixed vegetables, and mix gently together.
Add most of the olives and save a few for decoration.
Add the Dijon mustard to the lemon juice in a jug or cup and stir
together with the mayonnaise. Add this saucy mixture to the
On a large serving tray or bowl, place individually washed
lettuce leaves around the edge of the platter/tray and using a
large serving spoon, dish the salad mix on top of the lettuce.
Place slices of tomato around the salad, toss a few black olives
over the salad and finish with slices of the remaining egg.
There you have it Olivier Salad. A dish you will love and will
love to share. Perhaps something you’ll make again and again as
you get old insha’Allah.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO