10ml each ground coriander, cumin, ginger
5ml each ground cinnamon, turmeric
1 cinnamon stick
2ml chilli powder
1kg chicken thigh fillets, sinew trimmed, halved
45ml olive oil
2 onions, thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
375ml chicken stock
400g can of chopped tomatoes
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoon sugar
400g can of chickpeas, drained
125ml pitted dates
60ml chopped fresh coriander
125ml blanched almonds
Cooked couscous, to serve
1. Combine flour and spices in a bowl. Toss
chicken in spice mixture.
2. Heat 15ml oil in a heavy-based pan over
3. Add chicken and fry in batches for 1 minute
each side until lightly browned. Transfer to
a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
4. Add remaining oil to pan with onions and cook
for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in garlic and any remaining spice mixture.
Return chicken to pan.
6. Add stock, tomatoes, bay leaves and sugar.
7. Simmer, partially covered, stirring
occasionally, for 20 minutes.
8. Remove lid and cook for 15 minutes.
9. Add chickpeas and dates, and cook for 5
10. Stir in coriander and almonds; serve with
INFO / TIPS