1 cup polenta (mielie meal for South Africans) ½ cup panko bread crumbs (best for crunch but I used ordinary breadcrumbs) 1 tablespoon salt ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (or chillie flakes) ½ cup fat free buttermilk (or plain yoghurT) 1 egg, lightly beaten 1 lb (450g) fresh okra pods, trimmed and cut into ¾ inch slices
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine polenta, bread crumbs, ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a shallow dish; set aside.
3. Combine buttermilk and egg in a large bowl; stir with a whisk
4. Add okra to buttermilk mixture; toss to coat. Let stand for 3 minutes.
5. Dredge okra in polenta/crumb mixture.
6. Place okra on a flat springroll pan.oven tray coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining salt over the okra.
7. Bake for 30-35 mintues, stirring once, until okra is golden brown and crispy
INFO & TIPS
Something different...interesting. Make sure its flavoured well.