1 cup polenta (mielie meal for South Africans)
½ cup panko bread crumbs (best for crunch but I used ordinary breadcrumbs)
1 tablespoon salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (or chillie flakes)
½ cup fat free buttermilk (or plain yoghurT)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 lb (450g) fresh okra pods, trimmed and cut into ¾ inch slices
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Combine polenta, bread crumbs, ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a shallow dish; set aside.
3. Combine buttermilk and egg in a large bowl; stir with a whisk
4. Add okra to buttermilk mixture; toss to coat. Let stand for 3 minutes.
5. Dredge okra in polenta/crumb mixture.
6. Place okra on a flat springroll pan.oven tray coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining salt over the okra.
7. Bake for 30-35 mintues, stirring once, until okra is golden brown and crispy
INFO / TIPS / CREDITS
Something different...interesting. Make sure its flavoured well.
Adapted from All Foods