Dbn Fish Curry & Rice
Recipe credit: Ruhana Ebrahim
Picture Credit: @mama_taught_me_well
•1 kg Red/yellow fish or soldiers
•2 onions (sliced)
•3 large tomatoes (cut in chunks)
•¼ block aamli (tamarind)
•fist fresh dhania (coriander) (coriander)
•oil for frying
•1 stem curry leaves
•3 tablespoon ground garlic,
•1 teaspoon salt,
•¼ teaspoon arad (Turmeric),
•2 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin),
•1 teaspoon chilli powder,
•3 tablespoon lemon juice,
•1 tablespoon vinegar,
•1 tablespoon red ginger garlic masala,
•ground green chillies (optional).
•1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice.
•¼ cup oil dhal
•1 small onion (sliced)
•1 teaspoon whole Jeeru (Cumin)
•1 piece tajj
•¼ teaspoon arad (Turmeric) (tumeric)
1. Soak, Scale and Clean fish.
2. Marinate fish and leave in fridge overnight in airtight container.
3. Scrape off excess marinade from fish and reserve.
4. Braise onions in pot until lightly golden.
5. Remove half onions and place the removed half onions in liquidizer with tomatoes, dhania (coriander) and scraped off masala of fish- liquidize together until smooth.
6. Pour ontop of onions with curry leaves and let cook halfway, making a base chutney.
7. Shallow fry fish until just cooked on both sides, then place fish in chutney and allow to cook either side turning 2 or 3 times, thus allowing fish to cook firmer and soak in spices.
8. Wash ¼ block of amli (tamerine) in warm water and strain it reserving the juice.
9. Pour juice into cooked fish pot and assess how thick you would like gravy to be. (May add water if too thick).
10. Garnish with cut dhania (coriander) ontop.
1. Wash rice.
2. Soak dhal for 2 hrs. Rub out properly.
3. Braise onions in pot with Jeeru (Cumin) & tajj.
4. Add 3 cups water and arad (Turmeric) and dhal. When water starts to boil throw in washed rice.
5. Allow to cook together.
6. Serve fish curry on rice with papar.