Rec cred: ruhana ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
1 cup mugni dhal (yellow moong- soaked for 3 hours),
1 large onion (finely sliced),
1 teaspoon ground green chillies,
Fresh spring onion (chopped),
Fresh dhania (coriander) (chopped),
1 ¼ teaspoon salt,
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder,
1 teaspoon white pepper,
1 teaspoon dhana jeeroo powder
2 tablespoon oil
1. Soak dhal for 3 hours until dhal swells, rinse and drain.
2. Braise onion with oil, until translucent.
3. Mix washed dhal with rest of ingredients.
4. Add to pot, on medium heat, add 1 cup water and cook till it is soft, but retains shape.
5. You need to add water a little at a time, keeping check not to add too much, as the dhal will turn mushy. Serve with roti.
1. For more tangy flavour add 1-2 tomatoes liquidized and ½ teaspoon chilli powder/ cayenne pepper.
2. May add julienned green bell peppers to dhal as well for texture. Or even fried pattha slices with a dollop of plain yoghurt.