Sweet Sour Mango Atchaar
Rec cred: hajera ebrahim (mum)
Pic cred: ruhana ebrahim
25 pickle mangoes (remove pits, cut in cubes)
Salt (to taste)
Turmeric (good pinch)
Chilli powder (to taste)
4 tablespoon Methi (Fenugreek) masala
3 tablespoon mustard seeds
3 tablespoon cake flour,
3 tablespoon maizena (corn flour),
± 2 cups white vinegar,
1 cup water,
500g golden syrup,
2 cups white sugar,
1 teaspoon Mustard seeds,
Few stems Curry leaves,
1 teaspoon Whole Jeeru (Cumin),
1 teaspoon Sesame seeds,
1. Mix mangoes in above ingredients in seperate dish.
2. In a pot make a paste with cake flour, maizena (corn flour), white vinegar, and water, boil altogether on medium heat, till thick & sticky- looks like glue.
3. Add sugar and golden syrup to make a paste. Now consistency will be thin.
4. Add this to mangoes. Mix well.
5. Make a vagaar with mustard seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves and, whole Jeeru (Cumin) & oil.
6. Pour while hot over mango mixture. Allow to cool, then store in airtight containers. (I store extra in freezer and thaw out and use as I need).