700 lean boneless lamb/mutton or with bones
2 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 teaspoon ginger/garlic paste
1⁄4 t turmeric
1⁄4 sweet paprika
salt and pepper
450ml hot water
1 cinnamon stick
2 sprigs of fresh thyme (or dried)
5-6 dried apricots, roughly chopped
3 tablespoon chopped coriander or parsely
2 tablespoon fresh pomegranete seeds
1. Heat oil and add the onions, ginger/garlic paste, garlic cloves, turmeric, paprika and seasoning. Cook on low heat for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add the meat, coat in the flavoured oil and chook for 4-6 minutes until brown all over
3. Add the saffron and water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours or till done.
4. 20 minutes before the end of cooking time, add the cinnamon stick, thyme, apricots and coriander/parsley. cover and continue to cook till done
5. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and serve with steamed rice or cous cous
INFO / TIPS
A delicious, rich but balanced with the sweetness of apricots and completed with pomegranate pearls for a burst of flavour- should be a crowd pleaser!
Adapted from Healthy kitchen, British Muslim TV