Beef Mince Biryani
Rec cred: ruhana ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
1kg lean beef mince
2 large onions (sliced)
4 pieces taj
3 Elachi (cardomom) pods
3 whole peppercorns
2 star anise
2 teaspoon Jeeru (Cumin) seeds
1 tablespoon red ginger garlic masala
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon chilli powder
2 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 tablespoon brown vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon rough salt
2 cups basmati rice
3 large tomatoes (liquidized)
¼ bunch dhania (coriander) (chopped fine)
1 liter sourmilk
1 cup frozen peas
Yellow food coloring
3 potatoes (quartered, fried)
dhania (coriander) chutney
ghee (Clarified butter)
1. Braise 1 onion in oil with 1 teaspoon Jeeru (Cumin) seeds and 2 pieces taj. Braise until golden and remove half and reserve.
2. Add 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon rough salt and bring water to boil.
3. Add washed rice and boil till done (Rice must be cooked but firm. A tip- break a grain with your nail. If it breaks easily it is done).
4. In a deep pot, braise other onion with Jeeru (Cumin), taj, Elachi (cardomom), cloves, star anise and peppercorns.
5. Add masala and spices, braise till fragrant, then add mince and mix in well.
6. Add vinegar and mustard powder and mix in well.
7. Allow mince water to reduce, then add peas and tomatoes. Cook till liquid has reduced. Add chopped dhania (coriander) and 250ml sourmilk to mince and remove from stove.
8. Color potatoes before frying. When done add to mince.
9. Spoon rice onto mince. Then spoon on rice reserved onions.
10. In a pan heat with ¼ cup water, saffron threads and few drops biryani essence. Heat till saffron colors water. Drizzle over rice.
11. Place blobs of ghee (Clarified butter)/ butter over rice.
12. Place pot back on stove and steam altogether until rice is fluffy and all liquid has reduced.
13. Make dhai by adding dhania (coriander) chutney (to taste), pinch salt, pinch sugar, pinch dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder. Mix in well.
14. Make raita by grating cucumber and adding to dhai. (I prefer to squeeze out excess cucumber juice so dhai doesnt become too thin).
15. Serve with dhai/raita and fried papad.