Ruhana's Kashmiri Leg Roast
Rec cred: ruhana ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
2 medium lamb legs
2 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon red masala
2 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder
1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Spur meat spice
1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder
1 teaspoon lemon pepper
1 teaspoon garum masala
1 tablespoon mustard powder
2 tablespoon brown vinegar
2 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon mustard sauce
2 tablespoon tomato sauce
2 tablespoon mayonnaise
2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon dried thyme/ fresh sprigs
1⁄4 teaspoon powdered red food coloring
300ml can Coca-Cola
2 tablespoon ghee (Clarified butter)
2 large carrots (sliced)
1 red onion (sliced)
2 tomatoes (sliced)
2 tablespoon butter
1. Soak legs in water for few hours, changing water once or twice.
2. Remove from water and make random incisions along legs.
3. In a dish mix all ingredients for marinade. Massage into legs and leave covered to marinate overnight in fridge.
4. In a deep pot, add ghee (Clarified butter), heat, then place down carrots, onion and tomato slices. This will add flavor to lamb, aswell as be part of gravy and most importantly prevent the lamb from catching to bottom of pot.
5. Place lamb over veggies, with all the marinade.
6. Pour in Coca-Cola and add 1 1⁄2 cups water. The Coca-Cola, mustard powder and brown vinegar will aid in tenderizing the meat.
7. Cook on med-low heat until meat is tender. You will have to turn legs over twice in between to cook thoroughly and evenly. Test to see if it is cooked through by poking with a knife. It will push through easily when done.
8. Remove legs and place in casserole dish. Becareful with it being hot.
9. Spoon some marinade onto the cooked legs, coating all over. Spoon remainder marinade and veggies into a blender with 1⁄4 cup water. Blend until smooth.
10. Place in a saucepan, add butter and bring to boil. This will become pouring gravy. Pour into gravy boat.
11. Place legs under oven grill and redden for few minutes.
12. Serve with roti/garlic loaf, roasted veggies/garlic potatoes and gravy.