2 cups all purpose flour
1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon oil (you can use coconut, sunflower, canola or olive oil)
2 tablespoon soften butter/ ghee (Clarified butter)
125 ml plain yoghurt at room temperature (can be fat free or double cream)
1⁄2 cup milk at room temperature
1⁄2 packet instant dry yeast
1. Kulunji & sesame seeds (optional)
2. Freshly chopped coriander/ parsley (optional)
3. Fresh chopped garlic or spring onions (optional)
4. 2 tablespoon melted butter/ ghee (Clarified butter) in a small bowl for spreading.
To Make Dough:
1. Make a soft dough by combining the above ingredients.
2. Knead for 10 minutes on a floured surface.
3. Finally, knead into a ball mass & place into a lightly oiled glass dish.
4. Cover the dish with a dish cloth & place in a warm area of the kitchen, preferably in a microwave & leave to rise for 1 hour. The dough will rise to double its quantity.
5. Thereafter, knead the dough again for 10 minutes on a floured surface. Divide into equal portions & keep ready for rolling. The size of the portions are your choice.
1. Heat a flat frying pan/tawa on medium to high heat.
2. Set your oven on the grill option at the same time.
3. Lightly oil an oven tray & keep ready.
4. Roll each portion of the naan out between 20-22cm or your choice.
5. Sprinkle with seeds & herbs & roll over with rolling pin to press into dough.
6. Place naan on frying pan/tawa & toast the bottom until brown or when the surface of naan has bubbled or swelled up.
7. Remove from pan/tawa, place on oiled tray & into the oven under the grill. Keep oven door ajar to watch & avoid burning. Grill until dark brown & naan has risen.
8. Remove & spread melted butter/ghee (Clarified butter) on top.
9. Serve hot & enjoy!
10. You can easily double the quantity of ingredients for more servings.