2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoon melted ghee (Clarified butter)
1 ½ cups lukewarm water
1 ½ cups dessicated coconut
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
¼ teaspoon nutmeg powder
¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon white poppy seeds
½ cup chopped almonds
½ cup chopped walnuts/ pecans
½ cup chopped brazil nuts (optional)
½ cup chopped macadamia nuts (optional)
½ cup chopped dried fruit( 4 prunes, 6 apricots, 2 pears)
½ tin sweetened condense milk
1 teaspoon rose essence (please, NOT rose water!)
1. Combine flour & melted ghee (Clarified butter) to make fine breadcrumbs.
2. Gradually add water to make a soft dough.
3. Knead well for 3 minutes & cover in a dish & set aside for ½ an hour.
4. Thereafter, knead again, dough will be soft, pliable & easier to roll.
5. Divide dough into equal portions, roughly the size of tennis balls.
6. Roll out thin, but not too thin, about 3mm in thickness so the dough does not tear or poke through by the filling & cut out round shapes approx 8 cm in size enough for a 1 & ¼ teaspoon filling. Continue to make equal portions of the left over dough & use up the dough by repeating the process.
7. Add filling & wrap over carefully, seal the edges with warm water or egg white & press the edges with a fork to close, so when frying it will not pop open, spill filling & mess the oil.
8. Deep fry on high for a few minutes to brown, drain & serve with a hot cuppa' chai tea, the traditional way.
1. In a dish, combine the filling ingredients.
2. Add the sweetened condensed milk & mix through.
3. The filling will be sticky but use a teaspoon to fill to the dough cut outs.
INFO & TIPS
This classic recipe brings back childhood memories of the old, past & sometimes forgotten, when our fussing grannies loved making these simple biscuits to impress the most difficult guests. An all time pleaser & so easy & enjoyable to make. I often wonder what was all the fuss really about. ;)
31 May 2017
WOULD YOU LIKE TO
Nothing brings people together like good food. I enjoy cooking, baking & eating good wholesome food. Most of all, I love talking about it too! I hope you find joy & delight from my recipes.
Joined 4 years ago