Baby Gem Squash Mac 'and Cheese
Pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim, @mama_taught_me_well
Recipe adapted from Naqiyah Mayat
1 tray baby gem squash
1⁄2 tin creamstyle corn
1 cup frozen corn
125ml fresh cream
2 tablespoon maizena (corn flour)
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1⁄4 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder
1 teaspoon green chilli garlic paste
1 cup macaroni
1 1⁄2 cups grated gouda cheese
3 Melrose cheese cubes
1 teaspoon Robertson's italian mixed herbs
Rough red chillies
1. Slice gem squash in halves. (Cut in halves makes 24 pieces).
2. Steam on low heat in a little water until done.
3. Neatly scoop out the insides and add to a pot.
4. Add cream and use a stick blender puree it.
5. Boil macaroni in salted water till aldente.
6. Melt butter, add puree, corn, spices and chillies.
7. Mix maizena (corn flour) in little water and add to pot.
8. Mix well, bring to boil, then add melrose and 1⁄2 of gouda cheese, melt in.
9. Mix boiled macaroni in mixture, then spoon into gem squash shells.
10. Generously sprinkle over remainder gouda cheese and place in heated oven for few minutes.
11. Garnish with pinch of rough red chillies and dhania (coriander). Serve hot.
Note: cubed salt and pepper chicken cubes can be added in.