Rec cred: hajera ebrahim (mum)
Pic cred: ruhana ebrahim, @mama_taught_me_well
Vine leaves/Pattha leaves.
2 cups chana (gram) flour,
½ cup mielie meal,
½ cup cake flour,
Ground green chilli (to taste),
2 medium onions (grated),
2 medium tomatoes (grated),
Pinch arad (Turmeric) (turmeric),
2 teaspoon chilli powder,
2 teaspoon salt,
½ cup sour milk,
¼ of 300g amli (tamerine) (tamarind) block,
2 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder,
¼ cup Lemon juice,
2 teaspoon Methi (Fenugreek) masala,
2 teaspoon crushed red chillies.
1. Scrape veins off back of leaves with a sharp knife. Wash and gently wipe leaves clean.
2. Mix all ingredients together to form a paste.
3. Select the largest leaf, place vein side up, and pointed side away from you.
4. Smear paste onto leaves, and roll leaves up firmly into log shapes. (May need 3-4 or 6-7 leaves to form 1 roll, depending on the leaf sizes.)
4. Roll up like a swiss roll. Wrap with twine and place in a pot to steam.
5. When leaves change colour and darken, remove.
6. Slice about 1 finger thick (5mm), and wrap in clingwrap. (Now freezer suitable).
7. Fry in shallow oil on medium heat, until crispy and golden.
8. Serve with puri and lemon juice/ savoury chutney.