BERRIES AND CREAM SPONGE CAKE
Sponge Cake recipe from: [Anna Olson
For the cake
6 large eggs, room temperature
1 cup of sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1⁄3 - 1⁄2 cup fresh strawberries, sliced thinly
1⁄2 cup blueberries
1⁄2 cup blackberries
Stabilized Whipped Cream
1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
4 teaspoons cold water
1 - 1 1⁄2 cups of fresh whole strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries
0. Make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 F. Spray three 6-inch round cake pans (or two 8 inch pans) with baking spray and line bottoms with parchment paper.
0. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until it has tripled in volume - about 10 minutes. Mixture should be thick, creamy and pale. Add the lemon zest.
0. Sift the flour and salt (preferably three times) into a separate bowl or a large parchment paper on the counter. Stir into stand mixer using a plastic or metal spoon, preferably in batches.
0. Add the melted butter and gently fold it in to the cake batter mix.
0. Divide the batter evenly between the pans and gently smooth the tops. Tap the cake pans on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
0. Bake in preheated oven for 21-25 minutes or until the sponges are evenly golden and come away from the sides of the baking pans.
0. Allow the cakes to cool in their pans for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, turn them onto the wire rack carefully and allow the cakes to cool completely.
0. Meanwhile, make the whipped cream: In a small pan, combine gelatin and cold water and allow to sit for 5 minutes until thick. Place over low heat, stirring constantly, just until the gelatin dissolves.
0. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly (but do not let it to set).
0. Using a stand mixer, whip the heavy cream with the icing sugar until soft peaks form.
0. While slowly beating, add the gelatin to the whipping cream. Whip at high speed until stiff peaks form.
0. To assemble:
0. Place your first layer of cake on top of a cardboard circle, serving plate or cake stand.
0. Spoon a generous layer of whipped cream and spread evenly using an offset spatula.
0. Place an even layer of sliced strawberries and berries on top of the whipped cream.
0. Add the second layer of cake and repeat until all of the layers are on the cake.
0. For the top layer, spread on with a generous layer of whipped cream and spread evenly using an offset spatula.
0. Garnish with fresh strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. Dust with powdered sugar.