Lebanese Grilled Chicken with Kumara, Onion & Walnuts
Rec cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
1 chicken (chopped into pieces)
2-4 tablespoon olive oil
1⁄4 cup pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon Lebanese 7 spice
2 med red onions (chopped into quarters)
2 med kumara (orange flesh sweet potato- chopped into chunks)
2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
1⁄2 cup walnuts
finely grated lemon zest
Lebanese 7 spice (Baharat)-
1 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika powder
1 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander powder
2/3 teaspoon ground cloves
1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Good pinch cardamom powder
1. Make the spice mix. Store balance in an airtight container and use as needed.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
3. Arrange the chicken in a roasting dish.
4. Mix marinade for chicken with remainder ingredients and pour over chicken.
5. Place all over thyme leaves. Cover with foil.
6. Bake for 40min. Remove from oven.
7. On an oven tray bake kumara with a drizzle of oil, and pinch of salt, pepper, chilli and cumin powder. Bake till just tender. Then add onion segments with a little more oil and caramelize in oven.
8. When done, nestle the onions, kumara and walnuts in between the chicken pieces.
9. Cook for further 5min then crank oven to grill and char chicken a little.
10. Garnish with lemon zest, chopped parsley and mint leaves. Serve with flatbread.