Roasted Carrot Ginger Chicken Soup
Rec cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
500g carrots, peeled
Salt and pepper
1⁄2 onion (sliced)
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
1⁄2 teaspoon dhana Jeeru (Cumin) powder
1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
250ml fresh cream (optional)
2 cups cooked cubed salt and pepper chicken fillet
Danish feta cheese,
Rough red chillies.
1. Preheat oven to 200degC. Arrange carrots on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
2. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle generously with olive oil.
3. Roast for approx 30minutes, turn over mid-way through.
4. Meanwhile slice onion and saute in little oil till translucent.
5. When carrots are tender and nicely caramelized, remove from oven.
6. When cool enough to touch, cut into chunks and liquidize with 2/3 of stock, onion, garlic and ginger.
7. Blend till smooth, then pour into cooking pot.
8. Add remaining stock, chicken and spices.
9. Cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream. Once heated through, remove from the stove.
10. Spoon soup in serving bowls and garnish with pumpkin seeds, walnuts, chilli flakes and feta.