1 large sweet potato (about 500g) - works best with the orange sweet potato type
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Salt to taste
spices (for example crushed chillies, pepper, red pepper flakes, any veggie spice)
1 egg, lightly beaten
3⁄4 cup panko (more if needed)
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
2. Pierce the sweet potato in several places with a fork. Place it on a baking sheet and bake until it’s softened and just beginning to caramelize, 45-60 minutes. Cool potato completely.
3. Discard the skin and transfer the insides of the potato to a small bowl.
4. Mash and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
5. After the refrigeration period, preheat the oven again to 200ºC.
6. Remove sweet potato from refrigerator. Stir in the cinnamon and spices. Add salt to taste, if desired. Fold in the egg.
7. Pour the panko onto a small plate. Form nugget shapes with the sweet potato mixture (it will be wet, but don't worry, it will hold together!), coat the nuggets with panko, and place them on a paper-lined baking sheet. If the nuggets are a little messy looking, you can press them into nice shapes on the baking sheet.
8. Bake the nuggets for 15-20 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking time, until they're golden brown and warmed through.
INFO / TIPS
Optional : maple syrup though I prefer balancing the sweet potato with spices rather than making it too sweet.
Makes an ideal side dish or afternoon snack.
Adapted from www.ohmyveggies.com