Hariyali Chicken Tikka Kebabs
Rec cred: Dan Toombs
Pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim;
6 Chicken fillets - cut into bite sized pieces
4 tablespoon oil
1 onion (finely chopped)
2 tablespoon garlic ginger paste
4 green chillies (finely chopped)
3 large handfuls baby spinach leaves
Juice of two lemons
1 handful coriander
15 mint leaves
20 roasted cashews
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 tablespoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ - ½ cup thick plain yogurt
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
1. In a large pan heat oil on medium heat. Add onions and chillies.
2. Fry until translucent and soft. Now add garam masala, cumin and turmeric and mix.
3. Add spinach & ginger garlic paste and stir into onions.
4. Wilt spinach, remove from heat. Allow to cool.
5. Blend spinach and onion mixture with lemon juice, cashews, butter, mint, coriander and yogurt. (May need little water to do this.)
6. Add salt and pepper.
7. Take about a cup full of the marinade out and set aside for later.
8. Pour remaining marinade over the chicken pieces and marinate for 30 minutes or overnight in fridge.
9. Skewer chicken pieces on soaked skewer sticks and place over the hot coals. (Electric griller can be used).
10. Rotate skewers regularly so that the meat chars on the exterior and cooks evenly through.
11. Just before serving, baste with the reserved marinade.
12. Serve with additional yoghurt and roghni naans.