Portuguese Orange Cakes
Rec cred: myportuguesekitchen.com
Pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
1 ½ cups flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Grated zest of 2 oranges
1 ¼ cups sugar
1 cup fresh orange juice
1 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 180degC.
2. In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt & zest.
3. In a separate bowl combine eggs & sugar. Beat for 3 minutues with electric beater, till pale & fluffy & falls in ribbons.
4. Add in orange juice, vanilla & melted butter, stir in till well combined.
5. Add in dry ingredients and stir till just combined.
6. The mixture will froth a little.
7. Pour into muffin cups filling them ¾ full.
8. Bake for 13-14, until the edges brown.
9. Sprinkle the top with sanding sugar. Switch off oven & return to oven for 2min.
10. Allow pans to cool for 5min. Run knife around edge of cakes, gently unmould & cool completely.