Chocolate Buttermilk Cupcakes
Rec cred: unsure
Pic cred: Ruhana Ebrahim,
2 cups cake flour,
2 cups ordinary sugar,
Pinch of salt,
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda,
1 cup oil,
½ cup cocoa powder,
2 XL eggs,
½ cup buttermilk.
2 tablespoon cocoa powder,
3 tablespoon buttermilk,
1 teaspoon vanilla essence,
1 ½ cups icing sugar (sifted).
1. Preheat oven to 180degC.
2. Place cupcake paper liners in cupcake trays.
3. Sift flour, sugar, salt and bicarb in a large dish.
4. Heat butter, water, oil and cocoa in a saucepan.
5. Bring cocoa mixture to boil, remove from heat and cool.
6. Pour cocoa mixture into dry ingredients, mixing well.
7. Whisk eggs and buttermilk together, and add to cake mixture.
8. Spoon cake batter into cupcake liners till ¾ way full.
9. Bake for 15-20min, testing by poking with a skewer or knife to see if it is cooked through.
10. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.
1. Microwave butter for 1min.
2. Stir in cocoa, buttermilk, vanilla essence and icing sugar.
3. Mix until smooth and spoon over cupcakes.
Note: I just used left over frosting from freezer for these cupcakes.