Gulab Jumboo/ Jamun
Rec cred: Ruhana Ebrahim
Pic cred: @mama_taught_me_well
397g tin condensed milk
155g tin Nestle dessert cream
1 egg (beaten)
1 teaspoon elachie (cardamom) powder
2 teaspoon baking powder
+/- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
ghee (Clarified butter) (greasing hands)
Oil for deep frying
1 1⁄2 cups sugar
1 1⁄2 cups water
3 elachie (cardamom) pods (bruised open)
Few drops rose essence
1. Sift flour and leave aside.
2. Mix condensed milk, cream, egg, elachie together.
3. Mix in baking powder.
4. Add in flour as needed to make a dough, will be slightly sticky.
5. Grease hands and roll into long fingers or golf balls.
6. Fry on medium heat till dark golden brown.
7. Check the center of one fried to see if it's cooked through.
8. Whilst frying of gulab jumboo, put the syrup onto boil. Once it's reached the point where you can form a sugar string between your fingers, syrup is ready.
9. Soak the gulab jumboo in syrup, sprinkle over coconut.
10. Store in an airtight container.
Do not overwork the dough, the inside will become stiff & dry.
Also when soaking the donuts, it is a preference of how soaked you'd like it to be. I prefer it to be well soaked, my family likes it to be lightly coated.